Bad habits in children at school
All good habits of children parents consider its merit, and in the poor blaming the street, friends and, of course, school. You can often hear as a mother complains that her son was a good, sweet boy, but I went to school not to learn: constantly arguing, with all the quarrels, trying to offend. Grieving mother in this situation is clear – we want to see in their children only the best quality. The more a shame when you have these qualities we try to instill.
But is it so much to be frightened by bad habits?
First, any habit is basically a need. Therefore to fight it by prohibitions and punishments often simply impossible.
Secondly, bad habits parents often consider those that don’t like them. Actually, the division habits good and bad is very relative.
Adults understand that when it comes to their own “oddities”. But to children, we tend to be more demanding.
Thirdly, the emergence of habits and inclinations are largely due to their personalities and upbringing in early childhood, so the “bad” example – though the streets, even though the school is not so terrible for the one who thanks to the parents and immediate environment from infancy learned what is good and what is bad.
Each habit has its own reasons and requires an individual approach.
A child tells a lie. Surely, this has happened before the kid went to school. But lies a little child innocently enough. And here lies concerning school problems, delivers serious trouble and sometimes puts parents in an awkward position. For example, an 8-year-old girl told her teacher that can’t do his homework because of the constant conflicts in the family, when the deception was exposed, the mother was shocked, punished daughter but doesn’t know how to build a relationship with my daughter that this lie will not be repeated.
What to do?
• Try to understand the child, in whatever situation he appeared.
• Eliminate severe penalties, including a lie.
• As often as possible, show your child love, not educational principles.
• Try for yourself, especially when children do not refer to the imaginary illness, strong employment, etc. to avoid burdensome to perform your duties. If the child is going to take your example, it would be difficult to explain that lying is not good.
In elementary school, children develop the first serious friendships with their peers, but the habit of tattling is not conducive to good communication with the team. The reasons why children tattletale, are rooted in relationships with adults. Maybe the child does not get enough attention and communication. So he wants to look better, to earn the praise of parents, teachers, children.
What to do?
• We need to limit such actions or not encourage.
• Explain to the child why people don’t like sneak.
• Explain that complaining and “knock” is not the same as telling an adult about something dangerous or threatening.
The child takes other people’s things.
Stealing isn’t always just a habit. Young children may simply not be aware that things are wrong. And theft students often lies the desire to attract the attention of adults. However, if a person steals other people’s things, not paying attention to your surroundings and circumstances and if the situation does not change with age, so it’s no longer a misdemeanor but a disease.
And yet more children steal for other reasons. Usually petty thefts are committed by kids from dysfunctional psychological meaning families where they can feel care and love. Attention to them is manifested only when there is something extraordinary. And neglected child happy even punishment or scandal.
What to do?
• In no case do not punish children physically. Stick to the story of her own and other people’s property. Try to explain to the child that even if he is in need, stealing is not a solution.
• No need to condemn him publicly. If the theft is committed in the class, it is not necessary to dedicate it to all teachers, parents, classmates – with a bad reputation to handle more complicated than just fix the ugly deed.
• Don’t make negative predictions about the future of his child and not voiced them to him.
• Don’t talk all the time about the offense and not give him much attention. Better think about how you can spend with the child more time.
Habit is manifested usually in adolescence under the influence of bad example. Students start Smoking to prove their maturity and independence. Punishment will not help – on the contrary, the child. will smoke even more.
What to do?
• Information about the dangers of Smoking should be clear. Too frequent conversations on this topic are no longer perceived.
• Scary stories about future diseases in teenagers are a little young age characteristic confidence: “With me is not going to happen.”
• Positive examples provide the best action. You can gently suggest to the child article about the youth idols that relate to Smoking negatively.
A kid eating a pencil.
Many children, when I’m worried or thinking about difficult math problems, like krutidev hands or biting pencils, pens, rulers. Parents often see this as a bad habit, while psychologists believe such behavior is the first sign of chronic fatigue and stress.
What to do?
• Try not to put pressure on the child: “You have to do it at all.”
• Be flexible in all that concerns the school duties. You can help your child to do the homework and even do a difficult job for him, if you know that it will be quieter to go to school tomorrow.
• Even if the child’s success that you feel inadequate, not make the problem and not ask too much of him.
The child says a bad word.
It is unfair to write off this habit on the impact of school: curses the child learns long before coming to the first class. And he speaks it until then, until they finally realize that it’s indecent. In adolescence, the child often complains to feel adult and independent.
What to do?
• Do not use in his speech profanity.
• With each new “word” explain to the child what so not worth mentioning.
The child is constantly late. In the Junior school, the children still can’t keep track of time and often because of this late. Teenagers do it to attract the attention of others and to show their independence.
What to do?
• Primary school children need help to navigate in time, to remind them about important matters.
• For teenagers to act tougher. This can make the teacher, and parents need to support him. These and other habits may appear in the school, because the new conditions forced the child to look for new ways of interaction with the environment. But don’t blame the school, teachers, peers. The family has a major influence on the personality of the child. Parents are quite capable to protect the adolescent from the negative influence of the school and the company, if they will look at life with optimism and maintain a warm and friendly atmosphere.
Most importantly, the child needs to know that the house can always find support that his parents love and appreciate the way he is!
Adapted from the article S. Ivlieva